9 Steps To Help Your Child Enjoy Learning

31/05/2017 | Joy Liasu

 

 

 

1. Conversation

 

Engage your child in 'grown up' conversations about the things you heard and read about or generally find interesting. Ask their opinions and listen without passing judgement.  Ask them to help you understand. This makes your child feel important and they begin to also take their own opinions seriously. When you feel intelligent you are open to acquiring more knowledge.

 

2. Hobbies 

 

Actively pursue your own interests or hobbies, make your excitement and enthusiasm show. Do not put pressure on them to pick up the same hobbies as you but support them as much as possible in any that they do pick up, even if it is a new one every week. 

 

3. Read 

 

Read on your own and let your child see you doing this. Let them be curious about books and what enjoyment they could bring. Read to them also with books they will enjoy and show them pictures. Get them hooked, it only takes one good book. 

 

4. Experiences 

 

Expose your child to a variety of experiences, even if it's just for a short while. Different types of music, old and new, travel, games, dances, museums, sports, drama, plays, cooking and food, cultural activities. These can all ignite your child's curiosity which helps them become skilled learners. 

 

5. Play thinking games 

 

Play games that require a lot of thought and don't always make it easy for them. Let them lose from time to time, it helps them to improve. Games such as scrabble, chess, checkers, puzzles and even noughts and crosses. 

 

6. Challenge

 

When shopping with your child, get them to count the change. Ask them how many of their favourite chocolate bars they can afford to buy with just £1. Ask them what the time is, and how long they have left till it's 8 o'clock. These pop up questions keep your child thinking, especially when they feel they can use their mind to be of use to you. Children love helping and being asked to help. 

 

7. Ship in a bottle

 

Allow your child lots of free time where they can play, daydream and ask personal questions. Show them you are busy doing something else and they will have to solve their own mysteries for a while. Surround them with interesting things that can catch their attention during this time. e.g. a ship in a bottle, they may one day ask themselves how it got in there, see how long it takes them to solve it. 

 

8. Start early 

 

 

Developing independent learning skills in your child from an early age is important and will guide them throughout their lives. Don't wait until they have a test or exam coming up to help them. Developing a positive attitude towards learning can be a long process for some, the sooner they start, the better.

 

9. Support their school and local learning clubs

 

Attend school events and parents evenings, communicate regularly with their teachers, sign them up for tutoring at your 

 

local learning centres geared towards making learning fun.

Recent Posts

How to advertise as a private tutor

29/06/2017 | Joy Liasu

advertise tutoring Now that you have decided to become a private tutor, the next step will be to find somebody to tutor. The firs..

Read More

Signs Your Child May Need Tutoring

29/06/2017 | Joy Liasu

signs your child needs tutoringIf your child is struggling with their studies, it is i..

Read More

5 Reasons Children Hate School

31/05/2017 | Joy Liasu

  The media suggests children hate school. However, 60% of children enjoy school. The remaining 40% are either i..

Read More